June 1-3 2012
Sold for $ 58,000
This 1930 Auburn 125 belonged for many years to legendary collector, driving enthusiast and engineer Tom Lester and is being offered by his widow Janie as the final car from his collection. Although it was built just 2.3 miles from the historic Auburn Auction Park, under Lester’s care it traveled the world, receiving – among many accolades – the Concours Overall prize at the 1978 Australian International Veteran and Vintage Car Motor Rally. Among his many improvements, Lester transformed the car’s transmission into a five-speed gearbox, giving it modern performance. The cabriolet has hydraulic drum brakes to slow the 125-hp surge from the big engine – a design that was a proven power plant, having been used in race cars at Indianapolis. The Cabriolet is a pale olive green, with dark green accents and wire wheels. The top is in great shape, as is the exterior paint.