Estimate: $180,000 - $210,000
- 365-cid, 305-hp OHV V-8 Engine
- Four-speed Hydramatic automatic transmission
- One of just 2,150 examples produced for 1956
- Original Owner’s Manual and Convertible Top Manual included
- Frame-off professional restoration in original Chantilly Maroon code 52
- Matching maroon and white leather interior
- Power steering, brakes, windows, trunk, and convertible top
- Equipped with rare Continental kit and accessory parade boot
- Factory Autronic Eye automatic headlight dimmer
- Sabre spoke wheels
Like its sisters the Buick Skylark and the Oldsmobile Fiesta, the first Eldorado was shown to the public at GM’s Motorama in 1953 as a limited-production convertible available in small numbers at a high price. Cadillac renamed the Eldorado Convertible the Biarritz to differentiate it from the new Seville 2-door Hardtop Coupe introduced in 1956. Both featured a shark fin rear end, skirt-less wheel openings, chrome door top trim, and distinctive twin blade hood ornament. Cadillac’s V-8 engine was upsized to 365cid and horsepower on Eldorados was increased to 305hp, 20 more than other Caddies thanks to twin four-barrel carburetors and a unique gold, batwing air cleaner. At $6,556.00, the Eldorado was nearly $1,800.00 more expensive than the lesser Series 62 Convertible keeping production to just 2,150 units.
Built in April 1956, this Eldo is finished in its original color of Chantilly Maroon (Code 52) over a contrasting maroon and white leather interior. It benefits from a professional, frame-off restoration that is equally nicely detailed underhood. In addition to the standard power steering, brakes, windows, seat, and gorgeous Sabre spoke wheels (including spare); it is equipped with options that include AM radio, power trunk release, Autronic Eye, and tinted glass.
Included is the original Owner’s Manual and Convertible Top Manual and it is equipped with a rare Continental kit and desirable accessory parade boot for the convertible top. Following restoration, it has been stored in a climate-controlled and dehumidified space. Presented in a handsome color combination and nicely detailed, it is ready to both show and drive to the most discerning new owner.